OH MY GOSH VARRIC YOU BULLSHIT ARTIST
I’d seen this guy hanging out in the Hanged Man before, and always wondered what was up. He’s standing at the bar, and he’s got a giant black eye. It always seemed weird to me that he was different even though there wasn’t anything special about him.
IT’S THE GUY FROM VARRIC’S INTRODUCTION.
HE HAS A BLACK EYE BECAUSE VARRIC PUNCHED HIM IN THE FACE.
And I am willing to bet a billion dollars that Varric orchestrated the whole thing. Look how the guy’s dressed in the Hanged Man. He’s not a beggar. Or maybe he got paid rather well to take a punch in the face. And if he hangs out in the tavern, Varric knows him.
So, it was a giant set-up. He wasn’t just watching Hawke and waiting to make a move, he set Hawke up to ‘need’ his help.
Well played, BioWare.
- Varric: So, Milady Sunshine, what's your first act as a noblewoman going to be?
- Bethany: A noblewoman with no fortune and no title? Looking for work, probably.
- Varric: Practicality is for peasants, milady. You need to do something frivolous to celebrate your birthright.
- Bethany: Such as...?
- Varric: Come up to the Hightown Market and complain bitterly that there's no Orleasian silk that matches your eyes.
- Bethany: What if something does match my eyes? What will I do then?
- Varric: Insist that they are blatantly copying you, and demand royalties. A good noble always has a complaint ready, Sunshine.